Areas of Interest
Forested Wetlands Ecology and Management, Wetland Conservation and Biodiversity, Project administration, Biodiversity Inventories, Information Systems Administration, Database Development.
- Ph.D. Ecology, University of Miami, Florida, 1988.
- M.Sc. Marine Ecology, University of Miami, Florida, 1981.
- B.Sc. Biology, University of Costa Rica, 1979.
Spanish, Portuguese and English, partial French.
- Director Scientific Programs, Organization for Tropical Studies (OTS), Costa Rica. 1995-1998.
Project development and fund-raising in the areas of wetland conservation, information management and Geographical Information Systems.
- Inventory Director, National institute of Biodiversity (INBio), Costa Rica. 1992-1995.
Supervise specimen collection by a team of 85 taxonomists and parataxonomists, organize and oversee collections of 2.5 million specimens.
- Professor, Universidad Nacional, 1990-1992.
Coordinate research activities of the Mangrove Ecology Laboratory, which carried out research in the Central American Region.
- Associate Professor, Universidad Nacional, 1979-1990.
Execute projects in wetland research and conservation, teaching in the area of ecological sciences.
- Assistant Professor, Universidad de Costa Rica, 1983-1988.
Teaching in coastal wetland management and ecology.
- Wetlands Specialist. Wildlands Program, Centro Agronómico Tropical de Investigación y Enseñanza (CATIE), Cost Rica. 1985-1987. Organized the first wetland conservation projects in Central America with financial support from WWF. In charge of designing projects and securing funds. Launch the IUCN wetland program in Mesoamerica.
- Visiting Professor, Organization for Tropical Studies (OET), Costa Rica. 1984-Present. Teach periodically at OTS courses on mangrove ecology and wetland conservation
- UNESCO Fellow, 1982-1983, Institute of Tropical Forestry; United States Forest Service, Puerto Rico, Sponsor: Ariel Lugo. Research-oriented activities on mangrove ecology and management.
Other relevant activities
- Member of the Board of Directors. Wetlands International. December 2002-Present
- Chair and Member of STRP. 1999-Present. Coordinate activities of the Scientific and Technical Review panel for the Ramsar Convention. Represent the Wetland Convention at international fora.
- Member Wetlands Committee, Ministry of Environment Costa Rica. Help Ministry on issues related to legislation and management of wetlands.
- Vice-Chair, Ecosystem Management Commission, IUCN. Support commission activities in Central America.
- Chair Coordinating Committee, Long term Ecological Research Network in Costa Rica. Foster long term research in Costa Rica.